Fragrant basmati is infused with three whole spices that begin with the letter C, Cumin, Cloves, and Cardamom, to create a wonderful blend of flavors. The dry-roasted spices are first cooked with oil and rice to impart the flavors. It can then be either transferred to a rice cooker or continued with the stovetop. Be careful not to bite into cloves or cardamom as they both have intensive flavors.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamom pods (optional, for slightly smoky flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rinse rice until the water is clear. Drain water. Set aside.
- Roast cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, and black peppercorns in a pan over medium-high heat until fragrant, roughly 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add oil and rice to the pan, stir occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
- Add salt and water.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a rice cooker and cook until done, or continue on the stove-top as below:
- Turn heat to high and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork before serving. Optionally, garnish with herbs.